
Bishopdale proved remarkably resilient, surviving a mine strike, a collision and a kamikaze attack.
Initially, Bishopdale provided fuel to naval stations in Pacific countries such as New Caledonia, the New Hebrides (Vanuatu) and New Guinea. In the first half of 1943 it served in Queensland waters where, amongst other duties, Bishopdale served as a target for RAAF pilots to practice bombing—the training bombs were bags of flour. The second half of 1943 saw Bishopdale serving in New Guinea and occasionally journeying to a Queensland port to replenish its fuel bunkers or to Sydney for maintenance. In early 1944, a more efficient means of bunker replenishment was introduced: Bishopdale began getting its fuel from large civilian tankers in theatre.
In November 1944 Bishopdale joined Task Group 77.7 for the landings at Leyte Gulf in the Philippines. Japanese resistance at Leyte Gulf was intense; it was also the first battle in which kamikaze tactics were employed—pilots intentionally (and suicidally) flew their aircraft into targets such as Allied ships. On 14 December 1944 a Japanese Val dive-bomber was flown into Bishopdale. The aircraft struck Bishopdale’s forward mast, part of the upper bridge and a wing tank before exploding. The attack caused three fatalities on the tanker; one crew member died immediately, and two others died of their wounds in the following days. Despite the attack and fatalities, Bishopdale remained on station and continued to supply fuel.
The performance of Bishopdale’s commanding officer, Commander Murray William Westlake RNR during the attack earned him a Distinguished Service Cross and three crew members were mentioned in dispatches: Chief Officer WE Tate, First Pumpman Sheikh Allen St Hassan, and Second Pumpman Omar Abdoola. As a result of the kamikaze attack, Bishopdale needed damage repairs and it was not until May 1945 that it was able to return to service off Morotai in the Netherlands East Indies (Indonesia). It remained there until September 1945.
After the war, Bishopdale was returned to the Royal Navy. Placed in the reserve in October 1959, in January 1970 it was sold for scrap and broken up.
